Import format file
AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture
Import Autodesk 3ds MAX Files
You can import a 3DS file created with Autodesk® 3ds MAX®.
is possible to import Geometry and rendering data from 3ds MAX. This
means that it includes also meshes, materials, mappings, lights, and
cameras. You need to be careful though, because procedural materials
and smoothing groups aswell as keyframe data cannot be imported.
Also, you need to keep in mind that imported objecst are assigned a
color that will be as close as possible to the object’s 3ds MAX
CONVERTOLDLIGHTS and CONVERTOLDMATERIALSfor lights and materials. Lights will be converted to the nearest
- Ambient light loses its color.
- Omni lights become point lights.
- Spotlights become AutoCAD spotlights.
- Cameras become named views.
It is possible that the name of any 3ds MAX object conflicts with a name that already exists in the AutoCAD drawing. In that case a sequence number gets assigned to the 3ds MAX name gets in order to solve this conflict. Or another scenario is that the name may get truncated to resolve the conflict.
import an Autodesk 3ds MAX file
- Enter 3dsin, at the Command prompt,.
- In the 3D Studio File Import dialog box, select the file that you want to import.
- Click Open.
To import an FBX file
- In AutoCAD, click Insert tab> Import panel> Import.
- In the Import File dialog box, select the FBX file type, select the FBX file, and click Open.
- The FBX Import Options dialog box displays.
- You will need to specify the items you want to import, along with the assigned layer for the objects, and the conversion units. Importing the FBX file as a block will let you modify it.
- Click Ok to import the as specified.